These hanging books are a lot of fun to make, so I’ve been doing a lot of playing. I made a batch of ones with hinged covers and have more planned that are soft covers. The best part of it all is that I have a treasure trove of beads and ribbons and cord in my basement to finish them. I’ve found some of it, but I know there’s a box some place filled with spools of cord. Here is my current “inventory” plus some different views of one of the books with a hard, hinged cover.
I love the design and texture of the Japanese paper used in this book. The paper is soft, but the printed side has a smooth finish. It takes adhesive very well and is really easy to work with. The only disadvantage is that the finished book is not as resistant to stains and scratches as the Italian papers that have hard finishes.
The hardest part of making these is getting the holes the correct size to be able to thread two thicknesses of the cord, too small and the cord rips the paper, too large and the pages slide around.
I’m hoping to finish the soft cover ones this weekend and begin selling them on Etsy next week. Here’s more information on their construction and a preview of my Etsy shop.
Sometimes one just has to do what one has to do. Today I had the pleasure of visiting the dentist to have a crown replaced. Physically, we’re talking pain here, it is no where near as bad as having a large cavity excavated or having a new crown done. It will still wipe me out for the rest of today and most of tomorrow. In two weeks I’ll have the temporary crown replaced with the permanent one. Don’t know why they call them permanent when I seem to be replacing them all the time. It’s not only a pain in the mouth, but an even larger pain in the wallet.
I had fun yesterday making my new hanging books, but right now I’m not thinking well at all, so I’ll just let you enjoy the picture.