I haven’t posted in a while, but I have been moving forward on several fronts. In fact, I seem to have too many half-finished projects so thought I’d give you a glimpse of some of them. Ever since Labor Day, I’ve been trying to set up a marbling session, but something always seems to interfere. I think it’s called Life. To marble, I really have to have at least three days clear when I can concentrate just on that – four or five is even better – and it’s just not happening.
So on to what has been happening! About a month ago, I wrote about some books I was starting using some of Sam’s metal. Those books are not all finished, but progress has been made.
Metal books, memo pads and more.
This is the book and matching box I made for the brass pieces. The brass had originally meant to be covers for a very small book, but I wanted to show them off more than that so I made this elegant book and box set. I’m really pleased with how they turned out and can’t wait to put them in the Christmas Exhibit at our local gallery.
I’m not as happy with the Coptic book. Love the covers, but I have never been a fan of Coptic binding. It is not very stable and doesn’t wear well. I’m especially concerned that the metal will eventually cut through the binding cord. If I do any more of these, I’ll have to find a way to put padding between the sewing cord and the metal, perhaps with a grommet.
While finishing the first two books, I started working on two other metal covers, but these are sewn over leather thongs.
I haven’t finished these as I’m not sure about how I’m going to attach the spines. I don’t want an open spine, so I’ll have to attach the leather spine to the metal covers. Right now, I’m planning on a hollow spine with the thongs laced through the leather spine into the metal covers and using an adhesive to adhere the leather to the covers. I still have to shape and pare the leather before I attach it. Not sure how well it will work, but it’s fun trying!
Last was the book I am making from the leftover paper from the metal books. It’s only 3″ high and isn’t finished yet. I was going to call it “Mousings”, but thought that might be a bit cutesy.
No idea what these will turn into, but I love these combinations!