Marbling paints, that is! Yes, I finally got out the marbling trays again and had some fun. My main goal was to make some more sheets with blue as the primary color. I like it and tend to use it a lot. I also wanted to try some monochromatic sheets. I had done a few with just green, white and black and found they form a nice contrast to my usual work. I used this piece on a portfolio.
I started out with four blues, but found that one tube hadn’t been sealed properly and the paint just wouldn’t dissolve in the water or float on the size. Frustrating. The black was working nicely, both producing a lovely grey and a strong black, depending on how I used it and I did get a few relatively monochromatic sheets.
I also played a lot with the accent colors I had chosen. In this case, almost overworking the pattern by adding an extra layer of raking. In contrast, on this piece I decided to print the first pass of the stylus. I rather like the bold result, but I’m not sure that I will be able to use it on my books. The pattern of spots was produced by paint that had not completely expanded when I started making the get-gel. I had been intrigued with them on another piece because they looked like seed pods.
I also marbled some more maps. I have to be careful when I work with any paper that has already been printed. The pattern has to remain light enough that the words or pictures can still be recognized. If the pattern is too intricate or the colors too dark, the point of marbling on that type of paper is lost. I’m pleased with these maps. One is Los Angeles, the other Louisiana.
Here are groupings of all the large sheets I marbled in this session. I’m pleased with most of them although, as usual, there are a few clunkers!
I’m still planning to do a few more small sheets as I’ve moved to the small tray now. I have some dark card stock that I’d like to play with, but that may have to wait.